Monday, September 6, 2010

Man with A Movie Camera

Man with a Movie Camera was actually the first movie screening I went to for this class since I enrolled a week late. I know most people in our class enjoyed the movie and there were a few that didn't, but I surprisingly found myself enjoying it. I've never seen this film before so it was still like watching a new movie, even though it was an old black and white Russian film. 
Before the movie, Beth told to think about this question: Is it really random? Throughout the movie I was watching for signs to see if it was really random or not and I came to the conclusion that it's not really random at all. The theme was about the daily lives of people living and working in Russia and there was also a common use of the element of opposites such as birth and death, marriage and divorce, etc. Even the shots with the camera lens opening and closing couldn’t have been random. Someone had to mechanically force the camera lens to open or close in order for it to “act” as a transition between different scenes.
I especially enjoyed the scenes where the woman was editing the films because it gave me a chance to see how older movies were put together. The soundtrack was amazing and the movie experience wouldn’t have been the same without it. The music in addition to the fast cuts in scenes made daily life in the city seem more exciting than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment