Friday, October 29, 2010

Vertigo

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo was a psychological thriller that hardly psychologically thrilled me. From the beginning, the plot was too hard to comprehend on a sensible level and as the movie progressed, Jimmy Stewart's character started to become too creepy for my taste.

I also did not like the way women are portrayed in this film. I found it highly annoying when Judy agreed to Scottie's every word just to change for him to love her. Her desperation for love in combination of letting this man create an image out of her was less than favorable in my opinion. There was an underlying message that men had the ability to control women. This was also apparent when we find out that Gavin Elster dressed and made Judy Barton act like his soon to be dead wife, Madeleine. Judy was a puppet to both of these men.

The ending somewhat had me on the edge of my seat. I was unsure of what Scottie was going to do to Judy, actually. Was he going to throw her off the bell tower in his deranged state or try to change history and save her from a fall? A lot of ideas started coming to mind and I thought he was going to do the latter. In no way did I expect a nun to come out of the corner and frighten Judy, having her fall to her death. The lack of emotion from the nun and Scottie after Judy died was quite laughable to me. It just made the film seem even more unbelievable. This twisted ending was surely not expected on my part.

Vertigo was just not my cup of tea I suppose. You can’t win them all, Mr. Hitchcock.

No comments:

Post a Comment